Blog Harmful Household Items
There are common harmful household items lingering around your home that can be harmful to your dog. Below is a list of those items. Making sure they are constantly put away and out of reach from your dog is the best precaution in preventing poisoning.
Batteries contain alkaline chemicals and heavy metals that can be fatal to your dog. A dog that ingests a battery can get ulcers in the mouth, esophagus, or stomach.
Theobromine, a characteristic of cocoa beans, is metabolized much slower in dogs than it is in humans. For this reason, giving a dog any amount of chocolate can be harmful and even fatal. The consumption of chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate are more toxic.
Laundry detergent, fabric softeners, and dishwashing detergents can be toxic to dogs. Consuming any of these products can cause ulcers in the mouth, esophagus, or stomach. Some symptoms of the consumption of detergents is vomiting, diarrhea, muscle weakness, and/or lack of appetite.
Ethylene Glycol, found in anti-freeze, windshield de-icing, and motor oils, can be very fatal to dogs. The sweet taste of ethylene glycol is what attracts a dog to want to consume it. A tablespoon is an ample amount to cause kidney failure in dogs.
Fertilizers can have numerous amounts of toxins. Nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, iron, zinc, herbicides, and pesticides can all be found in fertilizers. Although generally a mild to moderate level of toxicity, it’s recommended to wait 48 hours before allowing your dog back on the lawn that was fertilized. The level of toxicity depends on the amount ingested by your dog. The more ingested the more severe.
Grapes are known to cause kidney failure. The reason for this is still not clear. It’s said that some dogs can consume a few grapes and not experience ill effects while other dogs can experience vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and in some cases kidney failure if not handled in a timely manner.
Cleaning products such as bleach, drain cleaners, ammonia, and toilet bowl cleaners can cause ulcers in the gastrointestinal area.
Lilies of the valley are very poisonous flowers that are very common in our hemisphere. The consumption of these lilies can cause heart rhythm problems in dogs that can lead to death later on.
Onions can cause anemia when swallowed by your dog. Onions have also been known to cause gastrointestinal upset.
Macadamia Nuts aren’t known to be fatal, but can cause symptoms of discomfort for 48 hours. Vomiting, low grade fever, and difficulty walking are symptoms that may be persistent for 48 hours.
Sago palms, another toxic plant for dogs, can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures. In some cases liver failure can occur.
All the items listed should be kept clear from your dog. If your dog experiences any of the symptoms from these items seek medical attention right away.
You can download our VIP infographic with the most common harmful household items here.