Blog Quick & Easy Apple, Peanut Butter & Oat Dog Treats
Looking for a delicious and simple dog treat recipe to try? These quick and easy apple, peanut butter and oat dog treats are a favorite for pretty much any dog. They’re easy to prepare and quick to bake.
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (aka rolled oats)
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 2 apples
If you want to use chunky peanut butter rather than creamy, you may need to add more moisture when making the dough. If your dough ends up extra crumbly just add 1 tsp of water at a time until you can roll it as dough out on a flat surface.
And remember to check that your peanut butter does NOT contain xylitol (an artificial sweetener that can be fatal to dogs)
- Preheat your oven to 300 F
- Peel and core 2 apples. Dice into small pieces.
- Mix together the oats, flour, peanut butter, egg, & apples until well combined.
- Roll out your dough on a flat surface, until the dough is approximately 1/2 inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out your favorite shapes.
- Place the treats onto your baking sheet & cook for 15 minutes.
This recipe will make approximately 36 1” diameter dog treats.
If you don’t have cookie cutters you can use a knife to cut out some fun shapes. You can also make your own cookie cutters using soda cans or the top of a shot glass to make bite size treats; just be careful not to push down too hard.
These dog treats will keep 2-3 days in a sealed container (due to the storage life of apples), and another 4-5 days in the fridge. A good tip is to keep half of the treats in the fridge and freeze the rest for later.
If you want dog treats that will last longer than a couple of days at room temperature you can simply omit the apples and still end up with a yummy peanut butter flavored dog treat.